Sleep? Never Heard of It.

My senior year of college has been moving at a rapid pace. I never truly believed graduated friends when they described their jam-packed schedules during their last year at Ohio Northern. I now envy the younger students or others who are not involved with capstone projects, athletics and other organizations. 

Since my schedule has been so crazy, I've been thinking back to freshman year and how different I feel now. One of the biggest things I am noticing has to do with sleep. Freshman year I could thrive off of three to four hours of sleep and now I feel like a truck hit me if I don't get at least six hours. Since I am sleep deprived and riding the struggle bus today because of my lack of sleep, here are
some interesting facts about sleep:
  • it takes longer than three days to completely recover from not getting your recommended eight hours of sleep. So your weekend recovery isn't helping you be 100% for the next week.
  • Sleep helps your creativity, so not getting enough could make your creativity tank.
  • Newborns sleep a total of 14 to 17 hours a day on an irregular schedule with periods of one to three hours spent awake. 
    • Sleeping 14-17 hours is a dream of mine.
  • College students on average get six to seven hours of sleep per night. LOL 
  • 3 Questions to ask yourself to figure out if you're deprived of sleep:
    • Do you need coffee to get you running before noon?
    • If the alarm wouldn’t go off, would you sleep longer?
    • After getting up early, would you be able to go back to sleep before noon?
      • I fail all three of these questions :')
My question to you is, do you think that sleep deprivation is a social norm in college? Do you think any student could get away with not ever experiencing lack of sleep due to school related activities or assignments?

Comments

  1. Sleep in important to one's overall health. I feel stressed out my senior year, too. I have to have 9-10 hours of sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taylor,

    My body requires A LOT of sleep, and college has been interfering with my sleep severely! I could honestly sleep anywhere between 10 to 13 hours a night if I was given the opportunity. Last night, I got 6 hours of sleep, and I was so tired I fell asleep in class. It is really hard to find a good balance of sleep, activities and work, especially as a college student. I can only hope it gets better after school!

    Thanks for sharing!
    Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very interesting take on why kids need more sleep in order to excel. I have never needed to drink coffee but after reading this it may just be the extra push I need when I am a little extra tired in the morning. I feel like lack of sleep is definitely a social norm in college because professors expect so much from students in what little free time they actually have.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts