5 Steps to Create Your Own Geofilter on Snapchat

I have seen custom Geofilters being used for birthdays and have always wondered how exactly that was possible, so I went to Snapchat's website and did some research. Hope this is as helpful for others as it was for me!

1. Choose to create a Community or On-Demand Geofilter

  • A Community Geofilter is used to create and submit filters for a city, university, landmark or a public location. When creating and submitting this type of Geofilter you will need to create a PNG with a certain requirements, choose the location, and explain why the location is meaningful. 
  • An On-Demand Geofilter, which is what I'll be explaining how to create in the next four steps, is what a business or individual can purchase to create for events, marketing, or locations.
2. Choose the occasion and create your filter 

  •  Snapchat gives four occasion options; you can choose between business, birthdays, celebrations, and weddings. 
  • There are two ways to create your filter. You can either upload a creation from a different source or use Snapchat's templates. Their templates are very customizable. You can add text, Bitmojis, and change the color scheme of the templates. 
3. Choose the dates and times

  • In this step, you pick the when you would like the filter to be available and when it will end. There is an option to purchase the filter annually.
4. Fence in your area for the Geofilter

  • This step displays a map where you draw a fence around the area for your Geo-filter. In the top left corner of the map is a search bar where you can type in an address. Once you have your event or location's address entered, click on the draw fence button at the bottom of the map and draw the area you want the filter to be available. 
  • The cost of the Geofilter is determined by the size of your area, so watch the size and price at the upper left corner!
5. Submit your Geofilter!

  • The final step to creating your Geofilter includes naming the Geofilter, choosing the type (personal or business), paying for it, and a summary of your order.

Comments

  1. Wow, I did not know that you could make your own Geofilter. It is a great concept, and now probably makes Snapchat my favorite social media app. No other form of social media has this much personalized customization. Now, everybody can feel important for a couple days. Don't be surprised if Northern gets a new Geofilter in the next couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! Thank you so much for sharing such a great, detailed explanation on how to create your own geofilter! I have been wondering how to do this for quite some time now. Your directions were very simple and easy to follow. I will definitely be creating my own filter in the near future. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like everyone else so far, I had no idea that you could make your own geofilter. It seems to simple to make and I really want to try to make one now! Thank you for making a post about this or I never would have known. This is so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is probably one of the most helpful posts I’ve seen. I did not know how to do it and to be honest I thought there was more that went into it. I know sororities have used it for their bid days so it’s helpful to know about. Heck I might try to do it for one of my SPC events… probably the camels. My biggest question is how much do they end up costing and how long will they max allow them. I know we have one for ONU and Ada that never go away. Thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts