The Struggle of Having Hip Surgery at 20 and Crutches




In August of 2016, I started to have incredible pain in my left hip whenever I tried to run or exercise, play volleyball, and even just sitting in class. Through August until my surgery on January 3rd, no one could tell me what exactly was causing my pain. I saw several different doctors and had multiple x-rays and MRI’s; the MRI I needed to see the doctor who turned out to be my surgeon, involved having a dye injected into the joint of my hip to see if any soft tissue was torn. Having my hip manipulated and poked to test what is causing pain is not something new to me at all, since I’ve been experiencing more mild pain since I was 13, but the dye injection for this MRI is at the top most painful things I’ve experienced list. The MRI didn’t show anything, but my physical exam was showing signs of a torn labrum, which is why my surgeon decided to do an exploratory surgery. For anyone that doesn’t understand what a torn labrum is, it is what keeps everything in your hip socket suctioned together and provides stability. After surgery we found out that not only did I have a torn labrum, but I had a bone growing into my labrum pinching and causing the tear. The thought of surgery was terrifying, but also exciting for me. I was nervous about being put under anesthesia and that I didn’t know exactly what they would be fixing, but I was extremely relieved knowing that whatever was causing me pain would be gone finally. The next three days after surgery were brutal; I am not a person that enjoys just laying around, unable to move. I am now about 3 weeks post surgery and I’ve been doing great with my rehab, but crutches are a total gift from hell in my opinion, especially if you are unlucky enough to be in-between crutch sizes like I am. Every four steps I take one of my crutches slips from under my arm, ends up in the grass off the sidewalk almost tripping me, slips in a hallway almost tripping me, or it gets stuck behind me and again, I almost trip. Being 5’1” and trying to put my crutches in, then taking them out of my Ford Escape is not an easy task either. My crutches are also evil and like to attack people by falling over and taking out knees, shins, or toes. Today I was finally able to practice walking again without the terrible crutches and I’m extremely excited to continue getting stronger and to a point where I can throw the crutches out for good. 

Comments

  1. I understand the fear of surgery. I had my first one during break as well January 4th to be exact. I've never gone under before so my anxiety was pretty high. However, mine was a little more routine and the doctor knew what he was doing. I had my three wisdom teeth removed. Which I think is so funny to only had three. I was fortunate that everything went right, and it sounds like yours did as well. I completely agree with not being able to move. I was so sick of my house after three days, heck I wanted a cheeseburger the first night. I hope the rest of your recovery goes well and your crutches stop acting up. I know I wouldn't be able to put up with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Taylor. So sorry you had to deal with surgery so young. Hip injuries are not something to mess with. Ouch. When I was a senior in high school I ended up breaking my pelvis after a marching incident over the summer. I pulled a piece of the pelvis out, when my muscles over extended. There's only minor pain now, especially when it is cold, but as I get older I will have to watch it. I am just praying for no surgery. Best of luck in your recovery and rehab. It will be frustrating, but time will heal!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts