How Sam And I Spent Our Anniversary

I bet by looking at the title of this post you are expecting to read that we spent our anniversary doing some cute, sappy couples stuff like a huge romantic dinner, but that is far from how it actually went. Last Wednesday Sam was taken to Mercy St. Vincent Medical Center in Toledo. That night around eight there was a grease explosion from a fryer and he was completely doused in 450 degree oil. He is still admitted in the burn unit and 15 percent of his body is covered in first and second degree burns. Luckily he did not develop any third degree burns, but an infection has started on his leg (but that was expected). There is no timeline for exactly how long he will be in the hospital or a recovery time. Since Thursday I have been driving back and forth from Ada to Toledo to be there for him. Saturday, April 22 was our one year anniversary (which I know isn't a HUGE deal, but it is my first serious relationship). Instead of having a comfortable dinner at home to introduce our parents we got to eat hospital stir-fry (I ate his vegetables for him) and play Cards Against Humanity with his dad and my mom. I wish our original plans would have happened, but I am grateful that I was able to spend majority of the day with him and this has made us even closer. 

He is going day by day with his recovery. It'll be a long process, but he is handling his situation so well. He's always been naturally funny, but since he's been in the hospital his jokes have gotten way better. (Ex: when he was told to ask the plastic surgeon to fix his face he responded, "why would I downgrade?") I might write a couple more updates or posts about his recovery and how it is impacting his family, friends, and myself. Give the people you love an extra "I love you" and hug because you never know what could happen during their day. 






Comments

  1. Unexpected things happen all the time, but I'm happy that you're making the most out of it. Keep your head high. I wish the best of luck and a speedy recovery to your boyfriend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prayers go out to him for his recovery. I am glad that you were able to still see each other on your one year anniversary. Next time I see a loved one, I will make sure to give them a big hug.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope he has a quick recovery! I am glad you still got to spend your anniversary together because it's not about the nice dinner or the cute dates, it's about being together. You seem to be very good to him and I'm sure he appreciates having you by his side! Prayers go out to him and I hope he gets better soon!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts