What Are Instagram Pods?

If you aren't aware already, the past year people have been complaining about Instagram's new timeline algorithm. (some people might love it, but I've only heard complaints from people around me) I've read tiny bits of content about Instagram pods, but never really looked into them. While scrolling through Mashable I stumbled upon not one, but two articles about these Insta pods. If you are completely lost and have no idea what I am talking about keep reading:

What are Instagram pods?
  • secret communities that try to find a way around Instagram's new algorithm.
What exactly do they do?
  • Members of the pods constantly like and comment on each others' posts to keep their members' posts showing up on their followers' timelines.
Why do they exist?
  • First you need to understand the new algorithm. Since 2016 Instagram has been using an algorithm that shows you popular posts instead of a chronological order of posts from people you follow. The new algorithm shows you the posts with the biggest amount of engagement. 
  • This has made it extremely difficult to gain organic followers.
Who has been creating or joining pods?
  • Anyone can join or create a pod (but from one of the articles I read, the groups seem pretty elite and secretive.)
  • Bloggers are mainly the ones creating or joining pods right now. (they were impacted pretty heavily by this new algorithm)
  • There is typically 10-20 members per pod.
  • Each pod has a different set of rules and expectations. Some are very strict and expect you to be very active daily and others are more laid back. 
  • Most pods are invite only by the creator or members and then your content needs to be approved. (some pods have content themes like baking, makeup, travel, etc.)

Please let me know your thoughts on pods! Are you a fan of Instagram's timeline algorithm? 

Comments

  1. This is interesting because I did not know it was going on. It makes sense of why people are Instagram famous. I do not think the algorithm of popular posts works on my timeline because I check it so much and I do not follow a lot of people and the people I follow do not post often. I can see why pods are appealing to those trying to earn money from Instagram but I do not think it effects me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts